Designed by E.C. (Edwin Carl) Landberg, Covington’s Lincoln Grant School was a state-of-the-art facility when it opened in 1932, considered an exemplar of the “separate but equal” model of segregated public education.
The school served Black students in kindergarten through 12th grade and was one of few facilities in all of Kentucky that attempted to match the quality found in contemporary urban schools for whites. Lincoln Grant closed in 1965 when integrated schooling was implemented locally, and this building continued operating as an elementary school until 1976, and then as the Kentucky Community Center.
The Art Deco structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013. It has also been designated as an African American Heritage Site by the Kentucky African American Heritage Commission, under the administration of the Kentucky Heritage Council.
After a period of vacancy and disrepair, the building was fully rehabilitated and expanded, and is now the Lincoln Grant Scholar House, providing stable, affordable housing and supportive services for single parents pursuing higher education and the children counting on them. It is equipped with a media lab, children’s library, theatre and fitness center.