The Samuel Hannaford designed residence is one of the few Federated Clubhouses still owned by its chapter.
The National Association of Colored Women, the first national Black organization in the US, was founded in 1896. Its local chapter, the Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, started in 1904 and continues to provide support to area children, families and seniors.
Founding member Grace Slade famously said, "Time is too precious for our women to neglect her chance to lift others as they climb; let us have high ideals and live up to them, let us remember: it is not so much where we stand, but whither we are going."
In 1925, members purchased this mansion at 1010 Chapel St. in Walnut Hills. Designed by Samuel Hannaford for C.H. Burroughs, it was built in 1888 on land that had previously been owned by the nearby Lane Theological Seminary. The home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
The 17-room brick house has served as the organization’s clubhouse and meeting space for almost 100 years. During the Great Migration, the upstairs bedrooms also accommodated Black women moving to Cincinnati from the South to find employment and community.
The Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women's Clubs actively seeks new members who are interested in leading and serving the community, following the organization’s motto to “Lift As We Climb.” The space continues to host community functions, including charitable events, youth mentorship and cross-generational social opportunities.
In 2021, the clubhouse received a long overdue historic marker to better share its important history with the community.